Flowers are indeed very beautiful. It adds decor in your home especially if you have a garden filled with different species of flowers. However, behind its stunning looks is something that you might not want to experience when it comes in contact with flowers. First of all, the leaves and stems can certainly leave green stains while the pollen can certainly leave a yellow bright stain on your garment. If you ever notice that there are pollen on your clothing, it is best that you do not touch it. However, if you are truly curious about how flowers can stains the shirt, perhaps experimenting won’t harm an old clothing.
There are ways for you to remove flower stains without staining much the fabric of your garment. It is important that you know how to deal with flower stains so that you can still save your clothing and wear it again. Before you’re going to dive in with certain products that can remove flower stains, here is a little remedy for you to remove the pollen off the fabric for example,
Shaking off the pollen- as soon as you see the pollen on the fabric, do not touch it but rather shake it off to avoid further staining. If you happened to have lilies in the garden, do the same procedure by shaking off pollen.
Do not rub with water- keep in mind that water can spread the stain. So, if you see the pollen on the fabric, it is best not to rub it with a clothing with water as this will indeed stain your clothing leaving a vibrant yellow color.
Tiny particles- if you see tiny particles that remained on the fabric, remove it using a sticky tape. Gently tap it on the pollen and lift it off the fabric.
After you have done all these mentioned above, here are the following steps for you to continue washing your shirt with flower stain.
Step 1 – soak it in cold water for about 30 minutes. Then remove the clothing, make sure that you to wire the excess of water. If the stain is still showing off, this means that you’ll have to use soap products to continuously remove the stains.
Step 2 – liquid detergent do comes in handy as well. Add a detergent to simply cover the stain and use an old toothbrush to gently remove the stain off the fabric.
Step3 – if there are presence stain, pre-soak the fabric and them use spray removals. An example of a spray removal is the use of hairspray. This contains alcohol which is easy to remove such stains.
Step4 – inspect the clothing if there are more presence of stains. If there are, perhaps the use of a heating press machine will help dry the stain and then use hydrogen peroxide as a last resort in removing the flower stain. Please note that you can find the best heat press machine reviews at HeatPressReview.com.
Step5 – if the color of the stain is not removed. Then consider the application of hydrogen peroxide. As mentioned, this can be your last resort to save the fabric of your garment. Completely rinse the area using cold water after ten minutes and then begin to launder the clothes again.
These are basically the five steps of removing flower stains in your shirt. The application is easy to follow and it is also environmental friendly as you do not need to use harmful chemicals to remove stains on the shirt. In this way, your gardening experience is better and you do not have to worry about how to deal with flower stains because you know already through reading this article. Therefore, enjoy gardening!
Gardening is one of the best unwinding experiences that you will ever feel because this is basically good for your body, mind and satisfying. Of course, when you are gardening, you will end up very messy because you will be handling more dirt. Gardening is fun and this also provides great bonding moments with your loved ones at home. There are certain things that you get while you are gardening such as an amount of soil lining in your nails, twigs and leaves on your hair, green patches that you get from trees. Therefore, it is important that you have your own gardening outfit whereas wearing your usual clothes will only make it soiled.
Wearing your comfortable gardening clothes do give you a better experience because you know that you can soil it every now and then while gardening. However, the dirtier it gets, the heavier its stains and it might not be that easy to remove it. Here are the following tips that can be of great help to induced gardening stains.
- Pollen- if you happened to have flowers at home, it is quite unavoidable at some point that pollen in the flowers will transfer to your garment. This can be a slight problem especially if such flowers you have are lilies as these leaves a super vibrant yellow stains.
What to do?- if you do ever get pollen on your gardening outfit, do not ever rub the pollen if it lodge to the garment nor splash it with water instead, shake the fabric of the garment to make sure that everything are removed. If there are any small amounts of pollen remained, it is best that you use sticky tapes to entirely take off any pollen left.
- Grass- getting grass stains are the frequent ones that you will experience while gardening. This is because you are mostly sitting on the ground.
What to do? – soak the clothing in the water and make sure that it is cool because if you are using hot water, this will only pursue the stain even more. As soon as it is soaked, make sure that you also rub it with some detergent and laundering will also help the grass stains removed. Hairsprays are very essential in spraying grass stains as this has alcohol content thus it makes washing easier.
- Mud- first thing that you’ll need to know about mud is that you do not have to treat it right away. The main reason is that, it can harshly spread all throughout the garment which will make it worse and mud stain is hard to remove whereas if the mud is dried, this is so much easier to remove.
What to do? As soon as the mud stain is dried, simply scrape off the mud as you can and you can use a blunt knife or an old unused toothbrush. This will help take off the mud stain. When it’s done, it is time to treat the garment with a regular detergent and the stain will eventually disappear.
- Paint- paint stains are also hard to remove especially if you have no idea as to how you can remove it. Just like taking off the mud stains, scrapping it first with a use of a dull knife and or a spoon.
What to do? – Gently blot the stain with a piece of old cloth to immediately soak the stain to the cloth.
- Grease/ oil- it is important that you dab the cloth to each sides so as to remove the excess oil, you can use an old cloth or paper towel to do this task. Keep in mind that you do not have to machine wash your clothing with grease as this can also grease the insides of the machine.
These are usually the treatments that you’ll need to remember if you have such dilemma of cleaning your gardening outfit. But if the stain doesn’t go away, you can think of other ways to cover up the stain, like using heat press machine. Choose a sticker that will suit in covering the stain in that way you can still use your shirt because you are able to improve its shirt appearance.
Making a camouflage shirt is not that difficult to achieve. It is actually very simple and you do not have to worry about where you’ll get the materials because it is available anywhere. It is termed as camouflage because it basically hides your presence behind the areas where you will be hunting an animal. For instance, you joined hunting season in your place, instead of buying you can provide your own style and design in making a camouflage hunting shirt.
Mind you, with handful pieces of materials you can easily camouflage yourself in hunting for a deer. There are tons of ways for you to make your own camouflage shirt for hunting. In this article, you will learn to understand the purpose of making camouflage hunting shirt and what it can benefit for you. It is best that you master all the techniques and eventually you will be able to get anything that you desire to hunt.
Here are the following ways to make a camouflage shirt for hunting needs.
- Camouflage clothing for hunting- chooses a shirt that is best for hunting. As much as possible choose the ones that has a long sleeve so that there is a large coverage to hide the parts of your body. Gathering of all the materials is necessary to make sure that you also conserve all your energy in making a camouflage shirt.
- Ensure the type of design that you’d like use for the shirt- when it comes to the design, it is best that you choose a design that is similar to the environment as to where you will be hunting. The colors should also match and as much possible use colors that does not reflect to the light because this can be visible to the vision of certain animals. The use of a heat press machine can be one of the equipment in printing your designing.
- Design and pattern- as mentioned, you can actually make your own design and pattern for a camouflage hunting shirt. You can also choose other way of printing the designs aside from the use of a press heating machine. Make sure that you are using materials that are environment friendly. Avoid spray paints or printing inks that have a stingy smell as this can be odorous to the animal that you want to hunt down. You are easily detected if using paints and inks that have a bad smell.
In using a heating press machine – it is important that you follow the guidelines with regards to the amount of heat that you’ll need for the shirt to be printed.
- Size- a larger size would be better for you to freely move around. However, this depends on your preferences if you want to use a small, medium or large. Keep in mind that if the outfit is too large for you, this might cause you to be stranded because you got hooked by a tree branch while hunting.
The benefit of making your own hunting shirt is that you can add as much design as you want to the shirt provided. Customizing your camouflage shirt is important and crucial. When you create your own shirt, this would also depend on the areas for hunting. For example, if the area is in a deep forest, the colors that you will be considering should be darker or lighter.
Now that you have a basic idea as to how you’re going to make a camouflage shirt for hunting, it is high time that you gather your materials and begin making for the next exciting hunting season.
Floral designs never run out of style. It basically represents feminism which is why more and more floral style is catered in most clothing business. If you are engaged in a clothing business, it is important that you know the materials that you will be using for printing a design, the colours of the T-shirts and the sizes as well. It also varies as to how much you’d want as a selling price for the T-shirt. To have a successful business, you must have an innovative, unique and creative designs in order for you to achieve your goals.
- Skull roses- this design are seen around to almost every shop. Although not everyone can appreciate skulls because of its horrifying meaning but if you incorporate it with roses this will give out a good blend of vintage, rocker and hipster style.
- Alphabet Letter with roses design- one of the designs that are mostly sold in the market. Anyone with an initial and has a floral design makes it worth the money. Adding each lettering with rose designs makes it look Gothic as well.
- Cross with roses- most buyers would love this famous design because it have a religious meaning for most people who are believers of the Cross. This is even used as a tattoo design for some people who loves Cross with roses.
- Animals with roses- Cats are one of the featured animals that you most likely see. You can as well use other animals and add roses to the T-shirt.
- Watercolor pattern- if you are into watercolor type of designs, you can actually paint your own if you plan do a DIY floral printing T-shirt. Choose colors that will best fit the color of the T-shirt as well.
- Simple black and white floral shirt- it is like a minimalist kind of design. The use of people’s images can also be a good option if you want to make it as a T-shirt.
- Clock with roses- another vintage design that most people will love. Consider a vintage clock and add small patterns of flowering designs all over the clock.
- Statements with roses- you can use famous verses from the passage in the Bible or perhaps famous lines from significant people who have made a big impact to the world.
- Embroidered style- nothing beats a hand-made embroidery floral printing. This is definitely a good sale but make sure that the quality of your embroidered floral are in good shape.
- Swag shirts with floral design- if you notice, most of these are popular and perhaps adding it to your business clothing line would make a great deal.
All these do give you a benefit. You can even start designing according to consumers demand or base on what you have observed from others. Adding accessories will make a T-shirt sellable. Of course, without other tools and equipment for T-shirt printing perhaps investing for these is a great return of investment. Imagine what it can do to your business if you know how to use it. The use of a heating press machine in making a T-shirt or clothing guarantees a better quality printing of your design.
The use of a heating press machine for T-shirt printing requires for you to learn about the machine before you’re going to use it. When it comes to the use of heat printing this is about 140 to 145 degrees farenheit. You can go higher especially if your prints are thicker. Do not be afraid of using too much heat in using a heating press as this is an indication that the shirt’s quality is guaranteed best.
During special occasions such as weddings, graduations, proms and other formal gatherings the use of boutonnieres does come in handy for this event. Did you know that pinning a flower or boutonnieres require a skill for it to be in place? Actually, it’s not that difficult to pin a flower to a shirt. Keep in mind that this comes along with a sharp object, therefore pinning needs to be extra careful otherwise you will end up pricking yourself.
Relearning to use and pin using a boutonnieres wouldn’t take you more than five minutes to pin it to a shirt. There are 5 simple steps to successfully pin a flower to a shirt. As soon as you have done reading this article, it would be best for you to practice so that in times of special occasions you are ready to pin a boutonnieres. First of all, you must know where to locate in pinning a flower. The purpose of locating is to make sure that the flower is secured without having to prick the person wearing it or even yourself. There are two methods of pinning.
- pinning it on a lapel
- Pinning it on a shirt– this can either be in a form of a dress or blouse.
- Traditional way of pinning- this is done by placing it through a buttonhole and fasten it.
- positioning- it is important that you position first the boutonnieres to the left area of the lapel. Make sure that the flower is facing towards you and the greenery to your date. It should be placed below at the widest portion of the upper portion of the clothing.
- start pinning at the back of the lapel- while you are holding the flower to the area where you will be placing, lift the lapel up and start pinning upward through the lapel (make sure that is away from the person you are trying to pin the flower).
- Thickest part of the flower- find the area of the flower where it have a thick stem then continue to push it through and insert it in a diagonal position especially if the lapel is thin.
- Push back the pin to the lapel- make sure that you are pinning in an angular position and back to the lapel. Keep in mind that the beginning to the end of the lapel at a specific angle.
- Check if it is secured- this is when you’re going to move the flower from side to side to make sure that its pinned. If there is a necessity to use a second, just do so.
The Shirt Method
- Locate your boutonnieres- traditional boutonnieres are usually placed at the upper area of the shirt just right above the heart. If the shirt happens to have a pocket, then pin it at the top of the upper section of the pocket.
- Gently weave the pin by an in and out motion slightly to the fabric- you can start pinning it from right to left. Make sure that you are pinning in to the fabric then outwards the fabric.
- Pin and pinch technique- weaving the pin in and out of the shirt. Make sure that the pin should rest outside the shirt after you have placed the boutonnieres.
- Placing the boutonnieres- insert the stem where the pin was placed beforehand on the pocket area. The flower should position towards the person pinning.
- Flatten the fabric and check the boutonnieres- this is done through pulling the boutonnieres in a horizontal position to make sure that there is no wrinkles. Secure the flower and make sure it’s not moving anywhere.
Doing these will help you become skilful in pinning a flower to a shirt. Keep practicing so you can perfect pinning every time you attend a special event. To improve the quality of your shirt you can also use heat press machine to have crisp shirt when pinning the flowers.
Receiving flowers is one thing that you truly want to keep forever. However, flowers wilt in its due time. That is why, others would prefer to heat press a strand of flowers as a remembrance. Whether it is a gift from a family, friend, co-worker or something that you have achieved and you received flowers are indeed worth the effort to hand-craft it with a project that where you can add the flowers. There are a lot of ways for you to create a project that can use flowers as one of your materials. If you want to preserve the blooming flowers that was given to you, having to heat press would be a great idea.
First of all you’ll need to pick the right flower for you to start heat pressing. The key here is to maintain its freshness. Therefore, pick one flower among the bunch. You can choose either a rose bud or a flower that has bloomed. If these are freshly handpicked from the garden so much the better. As soon as you have chosen your flower, the next thing that you’ll need to do is prepped it by pressing it right away but if you can’t do it right away make sure to place it inside a ziplock bad and store it in a cool temperature. Others would prefer storing the flower to the fridge.
To have a successful flower project, here are the following ways on how you’re going to properly heat press the flowers so that it will remain freshly blooded throughout the years. If you are ready to start pressing, here are the following steps that you can do to ensure that the flowers are kept fresh and cool.
- maximum time of freshness- to maintain the freshness of the flower by holding the stem immediately after cutting it and put it under water. Make sure to re-cut the stem.
- remove the leaves just below the waterline in placing the flower in the vase because these leaves can rot and causes bacteria which makes the glower vulnerable to rotting as well.
- Place flowers in a clean vase with water and add flower food or sugar to maintain the freshness. Have it properly ventilated and do not forget to expose it to the sunlight.
- Take note that flowers with flat faces are easy to press. If you have orchids and you want to press it, this has thick petals so you might as well split it into two.
- Lay it on a piece of paper and then you are ready to press it.
The purpose of paper to use
If you want to press flowers, it is better to dry it out quickly and prevent it from browning. Keep in mind that there are different types of paper for you to use such as flat cardboard, printer paper, plain tissue that is not treated or coffee filters that are non-currogated. Do not use paper towels as this may end up having many textures.
Ways to press the flowers.
If you want to do the task by DIY, keep in mind that you need to gather more materials and tools. There are many ways for you to press such as the following.
- using an iron- make sure there is no presence of moisture in the flower. Heat the iron in a low position. Glide the iron within 15 seconds. Alternate it by waiting another 15 seconds to cool down the paper, then press it again.
- Microwave- if you have a book flower press, this can be used for the microwave. Make sure there is no presence of metal.
- Heating press machine- this is another way for you to press your flower. Make sure there is not moisture and follow instructions guide in using a heating press machine.
There are other ways for you to heat press the flowers that you want to keep. Using heat is one of the quickest way for you to have a good outcome and it is also a great way for preserving the flowers.
Fall has always been a season wherein people get excited the most. This is the time of the year that it’s getting cooler and with winter coming things are surely different. Among the changes is wearing of thicker clothing, heavier knitted fabrics, chunky accessories like gloves, ear muffs and boots are one of the exciting things that people are looking forward. Although it has not yet transition to a full winter season, a mix of warmer weather still makes lighter fabrics appropriate to use. Certainly, you want to look fashionable for this fall season and you are in a haunt for fall floral shirt ideas
There are a lot of mix and matches that trend setters made a look-book for people to be inspired. This is one way for you to have fall floral shirt ideas so that you will be ready to flaunt your style to everyone. Few tips that you’ll need to consider is to stick to the color scheme for autumn and wear clothing that are suitable for the weather at all times. The concept of fall seasons embarks a remarkable meaning to every individual. To give you more tips and ideas for fall floral shirts here are the following.
- Fall colors- it is fun to play with different colors for fall season because it is mainly about neutral to darker shades of colors such as beige, tan, brown, yellow, orange, red, burgundy, purple to black shades. It is definitely to play around with this color scheme. So, if you stick to its color patterns this will make you look fashionable even more. For example, you can choose falling petals and leaves as a design.
- The year’s color- it is fascinating how you mix and match colors without contrasting it to each other. That’s another tip that you should remember. More so, the year’s color can be used for you to incorporate the color scheme of autumn. Since this year 2017 is more on the neutral green shade which is perfect for this fall season. Perhaps, a design that goes with the fall color scheme plus this year’s color would make such a creative floral design.
- Go for Warmer look- the more it gets colder, the thicker your clothing will be. Adding accessories such as printed floral scarfs, ear muffs, gloves, boots and even bags that you can add designs. If you wish to do things on your own, you can always do it with a heating press machine. The good thing about do-it-yourself printing shirts and clothing is that you can customize your favorite designs and add it to the clothing material to make it look more fashionable.
- Shades that are feminine looking- for females, darker and deep colors will work best. However, this creates a heavy look appearance. So, it is best that you balance everything by mixing and matching. You can as well choose a lighter color something that is of a brighter color scheme like coral and gold tones.
- The famous flannel shirts- this has never gone out of season. Flannel shirts are applicable to every type of season but more good during the season because of the quality that it looks. You add floral prints if you want to make it truly girly. For example, long sleeved flannel shirts that you can choose.
Should you want to choose a fabric material that best fitted for fall season, it is best to go with fabrics that are thicker for you to use it the entire season and even to the next fall. Floral prints are easy design and you can as well style it to your fabric. When it comes to heating press machine always follow the guide to avoid misusing and burning your clothing.
Breezy’s Distinctive Floral and Event Design remains one of the most highly-recommended florists in the Joplin, Missouri area even after changing up the business name and relocating to a larger city two-and-a-half years ago.
Formerly Breezy’s Floral amp; Gifts, the business moved from it’s original location in the quaint, Mayberry-esque town of Seneca, MO to nearby Joplin, MO in the fall of 2006. After two years of day-to-day floral and gift sales, owner Debbie Mitchell re-conformed her business to almost exclusively wedding and event floral services. Leading up to the business transition was a six-month run of services for the recently-opened Downstream Casino amp; Resort near Quapaw, OK, which may have served as inspiration to focus more on event planning.
The “events only” business move has proven successful with dozens of weddings, bridal showers, receptions, fundraisers, and parties having come to fruition to date and many more on the calendar. Even without day-to-day floral orders, Debbie remains busy.
“Life is to be celebrated, and people are always celebrating something,” Debbie comments in regard to her calendar remaining relatively full of weddings and other events to provide decor for. “You do notice that with changes in the economy there are changes in customers’ spending habits, but even a few flowers can make all the difference in the ‘vibe’ at your party.”
The ‘vibe’ at the events Debbie provides for is certainly a positive one – even cool and funky. The Breezy’s business has prided itself on being distinctive in its work compared to other florists by “breaking out of the ordinary and bringing you the extraordinary.” You’ll seldom see carnations or Baby’s Breath in Debbie’s arrangements or bouquets, but rather the more exotic Maggie Oei and Lady Slipper orchids or Calla lilies, just for example (I admit I had to “Google” those just to figure out what they were, having been a carnations and Baby’s Breath man myself for years.).
When I casually talk about Breezy’s with locals, the most common rave is along the lines of the business being “one of the best – if not THE best – around.” It says something significant, I think, when one can identify an artists’ work just by sight. At a reception set-up for the annual Girls Night Out fundraiser held at Downstream Casino Resort in June , some passerbys noticed the centerpieces and simply commented, “Oh yeah, those are cool. Definitely from Breezy’s!”
The Breezy’s website underwent some renovation in the summer and includes photo galleries of various arrangements, bouquets, and event set-ups as well as a more information on Debbie’s background in the floral industry. Even with her vast experience, Debbie admits that she is always looking outside her own little “extraordinary flower shop” for further inspiration from florists from around the world. She attended a floral design institute in Portland, Oregon in the spring and plans on further studies with the American Institute of Floral Designers.
“There’s always something new out there, things we haven’t tried,” Debbie said, adding, “and we hope to continue striving to provide the best for our customers and make whatever their occasion is as positively memorable as possible. You put some love in the work, and you make it happen.”
Do you love cut flowers in your home? Then a cutting garden is perfect for you. There are several ways to arrange the cutting garden to have the best display inside the house and in the yard.
Arrange the flowers by height:
When you want the most appeal from the outside you need to put the tallest flowers to the back of the garden. Make sure that they are not in front of shorter plant when facing the sun. It is simple reasoning that a taller flower blocks the sun and thwarts the plant in its shadow.
Check the sun requirement for the shorter flowers. Full sun means as it says, the sun all day. Don’t plant taller plants behind these. Most plants can thrive in partial sun.
Arrange by color and blossoming time:
Are you a monochromatic kind of person? Develop your color the same way in the garden. Plant clumps of color to get the full effect of it and contrast. I am not the best in organizing anything, and the color scheme of my garden had to be simple. Once I placed the plants in the right area, sun or shade, I simply made the colors go by the light spectrum and from the light shade of that color to dark.
The blossoming time of perennials vary quite a bit. Annuals, once flowering bloom a lot longer. Keep the blossoming times in mind and try to mix the plants so there is always something blooming.
Grow interesting foliage if you are going to use the garden for bouquets. You want to have variety in the vase.
Great flowers for a cutting garden:
Peonies: These beautiful bushy plants can be used all alone in an arrangement. Their flowers are big and varied, due to new hybrids. Giant multicolored, pink, white, or red flowers with a heavenly scent will grace your table around Memorial Day. Use the plant vivid dark green foliage as the background. WARNING: Shake the ants out of the flowers before bringing them in. There’s always some there.
Bellflowers: These beautiful blue flowers have several varieties. Check the height in the seed catalogue.
Poppies: The Oriental Poppy has a short life in the garden. It actually lasts longer when it’s brought indoors.
The Balloon flower: They look like a balloon until they pop open.
Lilies: There are so many types of Lilies. I have never tried the Day lily, but Oriental lilies and Stargazers last a long time.
Lilac: Snip a branch of the bush and add it to the bouquet. The fragrance calms even the most beastly of guests.
Roses: Well, of course.
Daisy types of flowers like the Echinacea, Shasta daisy, Black-eyed Susan, and Gaillardia all make great additions.
Chrysanthemums: Football weather is just around the corner when the mums start blooming. These hardy fall bloomers come in all shapes and sizes. They also can be annuals or perennials.
Lupines: Brilliant colors on a stalk.
Monarda: Bee balm is it’s common name.
Baby’s Breath: Don’t forget the accent flower.
Choose a bulb: All the spring flowers that we love like Tulips and Daffodils can be brought in doors. Warning: Paper whites STINK!
Gladiolas are dramatic accent flowers also.
The list is endless. Most wild flowers don’t do well, and ground cover or short-stemmed flowers are out of the question.
Annuals For the Vase:
Snap dragons: Another favorite of mine. The oil is used as food in Russia and has a wonderful folk tale about how the plant’s oil came to be given to the Russian people. If you squeeze the sides of the mouth of the individual flower (You’ll know what I mean if you see it.) You can make it talk. I play with these as my puppets until Mike takes them away from me and hides them. They are fun.
Cosmos: These are stunning daisy like flowers that are prolific. They are so simple to grow you see many communities plant them along roadways.
Calendula: Like oranges and yellow? If you do this one screams, “Pick me, pick me.”
Salvia: Another red dynamite flower.
Sunflowers: There are smaller versions that are multi head. These are great for bouquets.
Sweet peas: Charming plants.
Zinnias: Big and beautiful.
Larkspur: The annual of the Delphiniums.
Carnations: Yes you can grow them and they smell wonderful.
Spider flower: They have a unique shape that adds eye appeal
Corn flowers: Bachelor buttons are a member of this group. They are great for drying.
Don’t forget the foliage:
Try a few plants like fennel (I am officially a fennel pusher) for its lacy leaf and lemon balm for the scent to add interest to your cutting garden and bouquets.
There are more that I think of even now, like the Poor man’s orchid also know as the Butterfly flower. This is just a starting point for your unique cutting garden.
The first thing I’d like to pose to you is a question. Are you sure you want to be a floral designer? The reason I ask this is because in truth once confronted with the reality of what the job entails many people change their minds. I’ve seen a lot of rapid turnover of flower shop employees through the years. To help you with your decision let me provide you with some information I’ve learned in my 17 years as a professional floral designer.
This is a feast or famine industry. Either business is coming in at breakneck speed or at a trickle. The majority of American flower shops allow no sitting on the job so be prepared to spend up to 16 hours on your feet during busy times. During the holidays ( and you’ll get precious little time off for the holidays, usually only the day itself) you’ll work possibly as much as 70 hours a week and you will stand for nearly every hour of it. Things will be fast paced and you’ll be under pressure to perform. Because many customers come out of the woodwork strictly for holidays there will be more complaints and unrealistic expectations from clients. The hours, while long during the holidays are also unpredictable and make things like childcare and family relations difficult to plan.
During January and the summer months business can become very slow and in many shops this will result in a lack of labor hours. You may not get enough hours to live on during these times. This can be a real problem as floral design positions do not pay well for the amount of skill required. Health insurance and other benefits may be non-existent due to the small size of the business and the seasonal lack of hours. You won’t get rich being a florist – it’s a labor of love.
A typical day working in a flower shop might be about like this:
You have been working at a flower shop for several weeks now and you are beginning to get the hang of answering the phones and waiting on customers. Hopefully soon someone will begin training you in the art of floral design. In the morning you wash flower buckets with disinfectant and set them aside to air dry. Then you go out into the store and sweep up any mess that may have tracked around the retail area of the store. If it’s a slow day you might mop the retail and cooler floors. Once the flower buckets have dried you fill a number of them with preservative water and set them out in the design area in preparation for today’s shipment of flowers. When the flowers arrive you remove their wrappers, strip off their lower leaves, give them a fresh cut with a flower guillotine and put them into buckets separated by color and variety. After the flowers have had some time to hydrate (one of your supervisors advises you on this) you display them in the cooler. Afterward you take out the big pile of garbage created by the flower waste. Then you go out into the store and dust the shelves…………….not very romantic, is it? You can plan on about 6 months to a year of similar work.
You will get dirty and ruin plenty of clothes. The frequent exposure to moisture, the handling of floral product, and the almost constant use of tools will make your hands chapped, callused, nicked, and sometimes sore. You may come home footsore and tired. You may need to pick up an extra job to supplement your income. The work environment may be extremely chaotic due to the constantly changing priorities balancing the necessity of answering phones, waiting on customers, and producing the arrangements on a tight schedule.
If you aren’t daunted by these obstacles and have a profound love of flowers, an eye for color, and artistic sensibilities – floral design might be for you. For me, it’s all worth it. After 17 years in the business, I still get as excited as a kid on Christmas morning when the flower shipment arrives. While it’s not a peaceful occupation floral design can allow you to express your creativity and bring joy and beauty into people’s lives.