Receiving flowers is one thing that you truly want to keep forever. However, flowers wilt in its due time. That is why, others would prefer to heat press a strand of flowers as a remembrance. Whether it is a gift from a family, friend, co-worker or something that you have achieved and you received flowers are indeed worth the effort to hand-craft it with a project that where you can add the flowers. There are a lot of ways for you to create a project that can use flowers as one of your materials. If you want to preserve the blooming flowers that was given to you, having to heat press would be a great idea.
First of all you’ll need to pick the right flower for you to start heat pressing. The key here is to maintain its freshness. Therefore, pick one flower among the bunch. You can choose either a rose bud or a flower that has bloomed. If these are freshly handpicked from the garden so much the better. As soon as you have chosen your flower, the next thing that you’ll need to do is prepped it by pressing it right away but if you can’t do it right away make sure to place it inside a ziplock bad and store it in a cool temperature. Others would prefer storing the flower to the fridge.
To have a successful flower project, here are the following ways on how you’re going to properly heat press the flowers so that it will remain freshly blooded throughout the years. If you are ready to start pressing, here are the following steps that you can do to ensure that the flowers are kept fresh and cool.
- maximum time of freshness- to maintain the freshness of the flower by holding the stem immediately after cutting it and put it under water. Make sure to re-cut the stem.
- remove the leaves just below the waterline in placing the flower in the vase because these leaves can rot and causes bacteria which makes the glower vulnerable to rotting as well.
- Place flowers in a clean vase with water and add flower food or sugar to maintain the freshness. Have it properly ventilated and do not forget to expose it to the sunlight.
- Take note that flowers with flat faces are easy to press. If you have orchids and you want to press it, this has thick petals so you might as well split it into two.
- Lay it on a piece of paper and then you are ready to press it.
The purpose of paper to use
If you want to press flowers, it is better to dry it out quickly and prevent it from browning. Keep in mind that there are different types of paper for you to use such as flat cardboard, printer paper, plain tissue that is not treated or coffee filters that are non-currogated. Do not use paper towels as this may end up having many textures.
Ways to press the flowers.
If you want to do the task by DIY, keep in mind that you need to gather more materials and tools. There are many ways for you to press such as the following.
- using an iron- make sure there is no presence of moisture in the flower. Heat the iron in a low position. Glide the iron within 15 seconds. Alternate it by waiting another 15 seconds to cool down the paper, then press it again.
- Microwave- if you have a book flower press, this can be used for the microwave. Make sure there is no presence of metal.
- Heating press machine- this is another way for you to press your flower. Make sure there is not moisture and follow instructions guide in using a heating press machine.
There are other ways for you to heat press the flowers that you want to keep. Using heat is one of the quickest way for you to have a good outcome and it is also a great way for preserving the flowers.Tags: Heat Press